LANAP™ - An Alternative to Gum Surgery in Fort Worth, TX
LANAP™ is a gentle, conservative, non-invasive method of treating gum disease without cutting, suturing or removing tissue. Using a precision laser, the Doctor is able to kill up to 99% of the disease-causing bacteria in the periodontal pockets. Because there is no defense against the laser, the bacteria can not adapt and avoid elimination as with antibiotic treatment.
There is no cutting or suturing as with traditional methods of treating periodontal disease. This provides a fast, virtually pain free procedure that effectively treats periodontal disease.
Additionally, the precision of the laser allows the doctor to avoid removing significant tissue. This allows for a faster recovery and minimal loss of tooth and bone structure after the procedure.
Benefits of LANAP™
Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP™) is an amazing breakthrough in periodontal treatment. In appropriately selected cases, these benefits include:
- There is much less discomfort with LANAP™ LASER PERIODONTAL THERAPY than with standard surgical procedures - during and after the procedure. There is no cutting with scalpels or suturing.
- LANAP™ LASER PERIODONTAL THERAPY takes LESS TIME than traditional surgery. All it takes is two 2-hour visits to the office and two follow up visits. Traditional surgery requires four sessions of about one hour each, with subsequent visits for suture removal and additional check-ups.
- It gives better, longer-lasting results. In fact, 95% of treated patients remain stable after five years.
- Many patients find that they have less than a 24 HOUR RECOVERY period, so you won't lose time from work. Following traditional surgical procedures, recovery can take between to 2-4 weeks during which patients can experience pain and swelling and may require a liquid diet.
- Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP™) is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Coumadin or Cyclosporin.
Because your resistance to disease is affected by many factors, we will begin your first visit with a review of your dental and medical histories. This is followed by a thorough periodontal examination of your mouth and discussion of findings and treatment options. You may find it helpful to bring your spouse or a friend with you to this appointment. In most cases, no treatment is performed at this visit.
On your treatment appointment, a small laser fiber is inserted between the tooth and the gum and the bacterial infection is removed. It takes just one 3 to 4-hour session and we can treat the entire mouth in one appointment. Most patients feel fine returning to work the very next day.